There are times when I'd like to share something with you but my Voice in the Garden site does not seem the appropriate place, thus, this blog.

There are experiences, thoughts, views... and for anyone lurking/waiting to pounce (as has occurred on several occasions), please do not attempt to turn what I post into a political statement. This is NOT a political site, but IS about occurrences, reality, and personal opinion concerning what I see in the world around me and my family. There are many excellent writers whose works "speak" to me, and I shall include some of them. At times it may be
something I think you would enjoy or simply whatever ails you (me).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

NEA Tells It Like It Is

As a former teacher (many moons ago), I was somewhat provoked by the following video/comments of Bob Chanin, National Education Association (NEA) General Counsel for over 40 years, as he addressed thousands of teachers and delegates.

He states unequivocally that the NEA is "... the most effective union in the United States..... and despite what some among us would like to believe, it is NOT because of our creative ideas; it is NOT because of the merit of our positions; it is NOT because we care about children and it is NOT because we have a vision of a great public school for every child.

NEA and its affiliates are effective advocates because we have POWER, and we have power because there are more than 3.2 Million people who are willing to pays us hundreds of millions of dollars in dues each year because they believe that we are the union
... ".

Here is the excerpted portion of that speech,



but should you like to hear his entire farewell address, go here.

5 comments:

Patricia said...

I was also a teacher for 18 years (in another life) but the teachers unions today give me pause. Have you seen the documentary "Waiting for Superman"?

Diana (Di) said...

Patricia, I have not seen it, but it sounds as though you might be recommending it. Thanks

Patricia said...

I highly recommend the documentary! don't know if it is on Netflix yet. Gave me much to think about and research!

Rose said...

Just had a minute to look at blogs this morning and saw the title of this post, but didn't take the time to watch the whole video. I taught for 34 years and was a member of the NEA for all but the first few years of my career. It always bothered me to have our teachers' association called a "union," but I finally realized that I guess that is what it is. Chanin's comment just reinforces my uneasiness with the term--"Power" is not what we're about! I joined the NEA for its services to members, and yes, because it had a powerful voice for teachers. But I don't always agree with their views, and too often it's a convenient target for critics of education. Most of the teachers I have known over the years are concerned first and foremost with the welfare of their students and finding ways to help them reach their potential, NOT with making lots of money or having power!

Diana (Di) said...

Rose, only last week we had a similar discussion with a friend of ours who just retired from teaching after 35 years. I have no doubt that she (and you) were wonderful teachers, who truly cared about the students! One of her main points was that she sometimes didn't want to pay her dues because of what she was seeing, an evolution into that which she disliked, but it was on the local level that made a difference for the teachers.

I do think Chanin's remarks were a disservice to many teachers across America. I shuddered when I hear him say those things, for I wondered 'was he really talking about HIS power'.