There are times when I'd like to share something with you but my Voice in the Garden site does not seem the appropriate place, thus, this blog.

There are experiences, thoughts, views... and for anyone lurking/waiting to pounce (as has occurred on several occasions), please do not attempt to turn what I post into a political statement. This is NOT a political site, but IS about occurrences, reality, and personal opinion concerning what I see in the world around me and my family. There are many excellent writers whose works "speak" to me, and I shall include some of them. At times it may be
something I think you would enjoy or simply whatever ails you (me).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Parable: The Good Life

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying
to make you something else
is the greatest accomplishment."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everyone knows that making life's choices has been and can continue to be difficult. How do we figure out who we are, what we want, and how we get there... while holding true to our values and principles?

This is a simple but thought provoking parable that has been seen in various forms, and Mark Albion, author, includes it in his book More Than Money.

The Good Life

An American businessman was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked.

Inside the small boat were several large yellow fin tuna. The businessman complimented the fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them. The fisherman replied only a little while. The businessman then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish?


The fisherman said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs.


The businessman then asked, “But what do you do with the rest of your time?”


The fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life, señor.”


The businessman scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds buy a bigger boat, with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution.


You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City where you will run your expanding enterprise.”


The fisherman asked, “But señor, how long will this all take?”


To which the businessman replied, “15-20 years.”


“But what then, señor?”


The businessman laughed and said “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions.”


“Millions, señor? Then what?”


The businessman said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Money often costs too much." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 comments:

Betsy from Tennessee said...

What a fabulous story, Di...... I love it... That businessman is where we ARE ---and that fisherman is where we should be.... I finally have that 'fisherman' life ---but I didn't always.

I worked 24/7 --and my kids probably suffered... I didn't even think about it at the time... I was just trying to make ends meet... Life was rough. I was a single Mom raising my sons.. Seems like things could have been different...

I'm watching Glenn Beck now --talking about the cellphone/video game/texting world we are living in now... We just don't communicate. What in the name of God has happened to us?????

LOVE that story.... Wish young adults could read it --and make different decisions in their lives --as they raise their children.

Hugs,
Betsy

Robin said...

What a wonderful story. I was fortunate enough to stay home and raise my children. When they were grown, I went to college and then had a career. I do miss my late in life career at times. But, it is really nice to be home with my husband, my grandson, the garden and all of The Good Things in Life!

Ginny said...

I have read this wonderful story before, but am glad to be reminded of it! I think I'll record it for our church prayer line, it is really signifigant on many levels.

Lindalou said...

Interesting that you should post this right now. Thanks.