There are times when I'd like to share something with you but my Voice in the Garden site does not seem the appropriate place, thus, this blog.

There are experiences, thoughts, views... and for anyone lurking/waiting to pounce (as has occurred on several occasions), please do not attempt to turn what I post into a political statement. This is NOT a political site, but IS about occurrences, reality, and personal opinion concerning what I see in the world around me and my family. There are many excellent writers whose works "speak" to me, and I shall include some of them. At times it may be
something I think you would enjoy or simply whatever ails you (me).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Voting Rights For Non-Citizens?

The U.S. Constitution allows for only U.S. Citizens to vote in elections, but residents of Portland, Maine will soon vote on giving voting rights to foreign nationals, as will San Francisco.

This July 2008 National Review Article addresses the widespread problem of illegal voting that has been experienced in states across the country from California, Texas and Utah to Arizona, Illinois and Florida. The GAO (Government Accountability Office) estimated that up to 3 percent of individuals called for jury duty from voter registration rolls in just one U.S. district court were not U.S. citizens... After a grand-jury investigation of the 1982 Illinois governor’s race resulted in the conviction of aliens for illegally registering and voting, the U.S. Attorney estimated that there were 80,000 non-citizens registered to vote in Chicago...

And now states such as Oregon are allowing voter registration via the internet.

What is your stance on foreign nationals voting in our elections? Why even register to vote? Just line up. Even dead people might be able to vote. No wait, that already happens.

3 comments:

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi DI, just drives me crazy also.... Today I heard that anyone in Arizona can vote --and they don't have to show their citizenship papers.... What is happening to our country??? I just hope that people wake up in time to make some changes... BUT--people in this country are basically apathetic. Even my best friend and hubby won't bother to vote... They pay no attention to what is happening in the world... Too many people are like this....

Hugs,
Betsy

lakeviewer said...

It makes no sense to allow non-citizens to vote. How weird! If the states change such a fundamental rule, how are we all protected by foreign interests that might sneak in?

It's bad enough that a lot of our corporations have simply moved abroad to avoid paying income tax in our states.

Rosey said...

It is completely nuts. Only citizens should be allowed to vote.